Chicago Style Scoring
This page describes Chicago Style scoring as interpreted by the Davis Square
Bridge Club in Somerville, Massachusetts. To make the scoring more similar to
Duplicate Bridge rules, the standard Chicago Scoring rules have been changed
slightly to remove any carryover from hand to hand.
There are four hands per game. Scores for particular pairings are recorded.
(This is to allow for extra people cycling in and out, which happens most weeks.)
People cycle in and out once per 4-hand game, in that way experiencing all of
the combinations of vulnerability. Individuals cut for "North", which deals
first; the deal then passes clockwise around the table. In each game, the four
possible combinations of Vulnerability are enumerated as follows:
Hand #1: Neither Vulnerable
Hand #2: East-West Vulnerable, North-South Not Vulnerable
Hand #3: North-South Vulnerable, East-West Not Vulnerable
Hand #4: Both Vulnerable.
This amounts to the rule that in the first hand (in which North deals), nobody
is vulnerable; for the next two hands, the dealer's side is vulnerable; and
in the last hand, both sides are vulnerable.
The scoring follows Duplicate rules, in turn derived from Rubber rules.
- Trick Points:
- 20 points per trick over trick 6 in a Minor suit.
- 30 points per trick over trick 6 in a Major suit.
- 40 points for trick 7 in No Trump, 30 points per trick over trick 7.
- Part Score Contract Made:
- Game Contract Made:
- 100 points required for Game.
- Bonus, Not Vulnerable: 300 points
- Bonus, Vulnerable: 500 points
- Small Slam Contract Made:
- 12 tricks required for Small Slam.
- Bonus, Not Vulnerable: 500 points
- Bonus, Vulnerable: 750 points
- Grand Slam Contract Made:
- 13 tricks required for Grand Slam.
- Bonus, Not Vulnerable: 1000 points
- Bonus, Vulnerable: 1500 points .
- Doubling doubles the value of a made contract and increases the penalty
for a set contract (see below).
- Redoubling quadruples the value of the contract and doubles the (doubled)
penalty for a set contract.
- Bonus for making a doubled or redoubled contract: 50 points
- Not vulnerable: Trick Value
- Vulnerable: Trick value
- Doubled, not vulnerable: 100 points
- Redoubled, not vulnerable: 200 points
- Doubled, vulnerable: 200 points
- Redoubled, vulnerable: 400 points
- Not vulnerable: 50 points
- Vulnerable: 100 points
- Doubled, not vulnerable:
- First trick: 100 points
- Second trick: 300 points
- Third trick: 500 points
- Fourth trick: 800 points
- Fifth trick: 1100 points
- Sixth trick: 1400 points
- Redoubled, not vulnerable:
- First trick: 200 points
- Subsequent tricks: 400 points
- Doubled, vulnerable:
- First Trick: 200 points
- Subsequent Tricks: 300 points
- Redoubled, vulnerable:
- First Trick: 400 points
- Subsequent Tricks: 600 points